Date of Last Revision: September 15, 2011
Advertising and Business Posting Guidelines
1. The Hockey Network accounts are non-transferable and may not be sold, shared or given away. Do not impersonate someone else or pretend to be an employee of a company you are not affiliated with. Users may not commit Posting Fraud by pretending to be a 2nd user in order to post positive or negative reviews of products or comment on topics as though they were two separate unconnected users. All accounts involved in Posting Fraud will be permanently banned from use.
2. Do not spam The Hockey Network in any way. We sell ads if you want to promote your product, team or website. Businesses are not allowed to start threads regarding their own products or services for sale except if given prior permission by The Hockey Network. Your best plan of action is to contact us before you promote your company on The Hockey Network, and we will be much more willing to work with you on contributing to our website in positive manner.
3.No non-sanctioned contests, money making schemes, lottery contests or referral games are permitted. Pyramid schemes are scams, don't work, and nobody here wants to hear about them. They are considered spam.
The Hockey Network has strict guidelines prohibiting advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on our entire message boards. Our message boards are meant to be a venue for the exchange of advice and tips, and a place where members can talk about hockey. There are thousands of hockey stores and vendors online so if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy, The Hockey Network would be very quickly overrun with advertisements and spam.
The Hockey Network defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our forums and/or social networking features. Solicitation includes, but is not limited to, requests to be e-mailed, soliciting through Private Messages or e-mails, posting of phone numbers for your business, referring to or posting of one's own Web site address or asking to be contacted in any way.
Third-party recommendations are the lifeblood of our message boards, but when the staff believes those postings are too commercial or promotional in tone, excessive in quantity or if there is reason to suspect that they are disingenuous, or posted by a vendor under cover of "alias" screen names, those postings will be removed and the user will be banned.
While we welcome the third-party recommendations and the advice of our active vendor members, they must be in response to a request for such information, and they must not contain contact information of any kind. This includes responding with the name of a specific store, or commercial enterprise, the web site address, the phone number or location, or fax number.
The Hockey Network reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to any-related material or message boards that are not located within The Hockey Network. This does not mean all links will be removed, but rather that they will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The Hockey Network must approve any and all press releases prior to posting on the message boards. Please submit them through the Contact Us page at least two business days before they need to be posted. Please include links to hosted pictures and verify there is no contact information in the body of the message.
The Hockey Network welcomes commercial hockey enterprises to support our website by purchasing banner ads on the web site. Please see the Advertise page for more information.
Promotions, Contest, Sweepstakes
If you want to use The Hockey Network as a platform for any kind of promotion, contest, sweepstakes, or other similar offering, you must obtain prior written consent from The Hockey Network.
If you use The Hockey Network to communicate about or administer a promotion, you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including the official rules, offer terms and eligibility requirements (e.g., age and residency restrictions), and compliance with regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered in connection with the promotion (e.g., registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals). Please note that compliance with these Guidelines does not constitute the lawfulness of a promotion. Promotions are subject to many regulations and if you are not certain that your promotion complies with applicable law, please consult with an expert.
- Promotions on The Hockey Network can be done through the forums or through groups.
- Promotions on The Hockey Network must include the following:
a. A complete release of The Hockey Network by each entrant or participant.
b. Acknowledgment that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, The Hockey Network.
c. Disclosure that the participant is providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to The Hockey Network.
- You must not use The Hockey Network features or functionality as a promotion’s registration or entry mechanism. For example, the act of posting on a topic cannot automatically register or enter a promotion participant.
- You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any The Hockey Network features or functionality. For example, you must not condition registration or entry upon the user liking a picture, or commenting on a photo, or posting in a topic.
- You must not use The Hockey Network features or functionality, such as the Karma button, as a voting mechanism for a promotion.
- You must not notify winners through The Hockey Network, such as through The Hockey Network messages, or posts on profiles.
- Ads may not imply an endorsement or partnership of any kind with The Hockey Network. Ads linking to The Hockey Network branded content (including topics, groups, or profiles) may make limited reference to "The Hockey Network" in ad text for the purpose of (1) fulfilling your obligations under Section 2 and (2) clarifying the destination of the ad. All other ads and landing pages may not use our copyrights or trademarks (including The Hockey Network, The Hockey Network Logo, Hockey’s Homepage) or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted by our BRAND PERMISSIONS or with our prior written permission.
a. By “administration” we mean the operation of any element of the promotion, such as collecting entries, conducting a drawing, judging entries, or notifying winners.
b. By “communication” we mean promoting, advertising or referencing a promotion in any way on The Hockey Network, e.g., in ads, on a topic, or in a group.
c. By “contest” or “competition” we mean a promotion that includes a prize of monetary value and a winner determined on the basis of skill (i.e., through judging based on specific criteria).
d. By “sweepstakes” we mean a promotion that includes a prize of monetary value and a winner selected on the basis of chance.