Launch Skates, hockey skates with springs in them, you gotta check these out

Launch Skates, hockey skates with springs in them, you gotta check these out

Page
   Share hockey on Facebook

5 years, 5 months ago 1

• george
  • Staff OFFLINE

Launch Skates

Independent front and rear suspension make the Launch skates unique.

It has never been done before in the history of ice skating . . . until now! High compression steel springs are mounted in the front and back of the blade holder, allowing the blade to move up and down - utilizing kinetic energy and gravity as weight and motion are applied by the skater.

Launch skates were invented in Toronto, Canada, to utilize kinetic energy for faster skating and to make it easier on skater’s leg joints and more comfortable to skate

Filmed on a cold, clear and beautiful winter day in Toronto in January, 2012, featuring a mystery skater on the "Launch" spring suspension ice skates.

Kinetic energy (stored in the high-compression steel springs from the skater's weight and motion) is released with each skating stride as each skate is lifted off the ice, propelling the skater faster than traditional skates without spring suspension. In addition, the spring suspension system makes it much easier on the skater's leg joints, which results in a more comfortable skate.

THESE SKATES HAVE NOT BEEN RELEASED YET, SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK WHERE YOU CAN BUY THEM

For more info visit:
www.launchskates.com/
THN Staff
Retired goalie
The Pingry School
University of Wisconsin

5 years, 5 months ago 2

• LeftyHockeyReviews

so what does the springs do....this looks cool
Dylan
LeftyHockeyReviews
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/LeftyHockeyReviews

5 years, 5 months ago 3

• JonasHillerfan
  • Staff OFFLINE

This looks cool. My only worries would be what happens if the springs break or are bent? Also, I wonder how expensive they will be.

5 years, 5 months ago 4

• eportn02

Seems like an interesting idea. Can't really tell from the video how far in the blades go when he's stopping or crossing over. Anyone know if they're looking for product testers???
"Patrice Bergeron, you are a magnificent player!" -The one and only Jack Edwards

5 years, 5 months ago 5

• LaunchSkates

- the blades go in roughly 1/4" with the prototypes; not looking for testers at the moment, but will keep it in mind!
- the springs are fully enclosed in and protected by the blade holder and are very heavy duty high-compression steel springs designed to last a long, long time; cost is not set yet, but the cost will be reasonable compared with regular hockey skates
- the springs store kinetic energy as weight and motion are applied by the skater, resulting in a faster skate! The suspension system is also a lot easier on the leg joints.
- check out all the details and find out who's tried the skates at www.LaunchSkates.com

5 years, 5 months ago 6

• LeftyHockeyReviews

Cool, yea if you do need any testers or reviewers you can ask me i review hockey stuff on my youtube and i have synthetic ice
Dylan
LeftyHockeyReviews

5 years, 5 months ago 7

• LaunchSkates

Thanks for the offer . . . and I'll check out some of your videos. Your own synthetic ice - that's cool as well.

5 years, 5 months ago 8

• LeftyHockeyReviews

Dylan
LeftyHockeyReviews

5 years, 5 months ago 9

• LaunchSkates

thanks - I'll definitely take a look

5 years, 2 months ago 10

• george
  • Staff OFFLINE

Congrats to Launch Skates, the magazine Popular Science just did an article on them, check it out here:

www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-05/sprin...hockey-players-speed
THN Staff
Retired goalie
The Pingry School
University of Wisconsin

5 years, 2 months ago 11

• eportn02

"If a company licenses the design, he says, it could put Launch Skates on the ice within a year."

Perfect, I'll probably be in the market for new skates within a year! I still think this is a great idea and it's awesome that PopSci ran the article. Very well done, Launch!
"Patrice Bergeron, you are a magnificent player!" -The one and only Jack Edwards
The following user(s) said Thank You: LaunchSkates

5 years, 2 months ago 12

• LaunchSkates

Thanks for your support George!

5 years ago 13

• bostonbruins4313

yea, wat happens if the spring snaps?????
I Love the boston bruins.Hockey is my favorite sport:>

5 years ago 14

• LaunchSkates

Thanks for the question.

As mentioned in one of the early posts, the springs are fully enclosed in and protected by the blade holder and are very heavy duty high-compression steel springs designed to last a long, long time. The springs will be well tested before going into production models.

4 years, 7 months ago 15

• george
  • Staff OFFLINE

I just heard from David who created Launch Skates that they will be featured on The Daily Planet on Discovery Channel Canada tonight at 7:00pm EST, check it out if you can!
THN Staff
Retired goalie
The Pingry School
University of Wisconsin

4 years, 7 months ago 16

• Spenciliquist
  • Staff OFFLINE

LaunchSkates wrote:
As mentioned in one of the early posts, the springs are fully enclosed in and protected by the blade holder and are very heavy duty high-compression steel springs designed to last a long, long time. The springs will be well tested before going into production models.

The question was what would happen if they DID snap. As you said, it would be very hard for them to break/bend, but would the skates still be able to be used if it were to happen?
THN Staff
Hockey Great 98

4 years, 7 months ago 17

• Chuemmer81

This seems incredibly intriguing... plus my skates are beginning to fall apart, which is a bit of a disappointment, they haven't lasted for too long.
My question is, is this a whole skate or just a runner and holder? And if it is a skate, how well will at hold up with the stitching and all? That is the current problem with my Reebok 6K

4 years, 7 months ago 18

• LaunchSkates

Thanks for the question.

The springs are very heavy duty as mentioned and in the very unlikely event that one of the springs breaks, the skates could still be used but the broken spring would need to be replaced to obtain the proper/optimum performance.

Here is the link to The Daily Planet segment on the Launch Skates which aired last night in Canada:

Launch Skates on The Daily Planet tv show

Lucas Lawson (former pro hockey player) is featured on one of the Launch Skates prototype pairs. This prototype pair with the very heavy duty springs has stood up to a lot of testing already.

4 years, 7 months ago 19

• LaunchSkates

Thanks for the comment and post.

The concept involves the skate blade holder assembly and not the boot. Boots from the top manufacturers have been attached to the prototype Launch blade holders for testing. The aim is to license one or more of these top manufacturers to produce and sell a complete hockey skate (with boot), incorporating the Launch technology.

4 years, 7 months ago 20

• george
  • Staff OFFLINE

David just sent me a link so you guys can watch the feature that Discovery just did on the skates

Go here: watch.discoverychannel.ca/#clip844663 and just click the next button in the video player to skip to part 2, where the skates are the first thing featured. The segment is about 6 minutes long and they get tested by a pro hockey player, very cool.
THN Staff
Retired goalie
The Pingry School
University of Wisconsin
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  Next 
  •  End